Table of Contents
Mobile OCR Engine for iOS
- ABBYY offers its compact OCR Engine for iOS
- A full featured Mobile OCR Engine (SDK) trial is available
- The SDK contains a XCode sample that shows how to work with the SDK
- Barcode Recognition is included!
Why use OCR with iOS Apps?
- Apples iTunes platform is (still) setting standards for mobile Apps
- User acceptance
- Number of downloads
- Generated revenue
- Existing Applications can be extended with OCR
- OCR is a new way to bring information in/on the phone
Note: If you would like to use OCR within you App, but not prefer to implement a full OCR Engine, you should also check out Cloud OCR SDK
What iPhone is good enough for OCR usage?
- The camera of the iPhone 3G has only a fix focus lens and ins not suited for most of the camera OCR scenarios.
- From the iPhone 3Gs on, Apple used a camera with auto-focus. Combined with the 3 mega-pixel it is capable to be used in capturing text snippets and business cards.
- The new iPhone 4 camera with 5 mega-pixel will result in better images and better OCR results.
- Every other iPhone generation also brought improvements to the camera.
- No tags, yet