Table of Contents
- ABBYY FineReader Engine is the Software Development Kit (SDK) to integrate multilingual text recognition and conversion technologies into external applications.
- The SDK allows to convert PDFs and images into a large variety of other digital formats, so that the information is accessible for humans and IT systems.
- The toolkit allows to read & recognize a large variety of different sources:
- documents with machine-printed text with OCR
- forms filled with hand with ICR
- check marks on reports with OMR
- a large variety of barcodes
- Code Samples guide you to build your own highly accurate, scalable, efficient recognition and conversion system supporting over 200 languages
Who uses FineReader Engine
ABBYY SDKs are used and integrated by
- Software Houses to add OCR and paper document conversion to their custom applications
- Software Developers who need full control over document processing settings and recognition results
- Integrators who have to realize complex projects where it is needed to provide information access to images or PDFs
- Scan Service Providers (BPO) to add OCR in their processing systems so they can provide the best conversion results for their users and customers.
- Enterprises that have the need to build in-house systems to convert pixel based information into “real” text, e.g. for quality and security systems
- If you have questions or want to test ABBYY FineReader Engine, please get in contact with ABBYY. We are happy to answer your open topics and to support you to realize projects.
Please review Quick Start Guide for ABBYY FineReader Engine for basic steps of your trial.
Version & Technology Archive
FineReader Engine is available for different operating systems and
|Operating Systems||Technology Cycle||Engine Version|
|Windows||V6, V7,V8, V9, V10 , V11|| Engine 6.0, Engine 7.0, Engine 8.0, Engine 9.0,
Engine 10, Engine 11
|Windows Azure||V11||Cloud OCR Service with API|
|Linux||V6, V8, V9, V10, V11||Engine 6.0, Engine 8.0, Engine 9.0, Engine 10, Engine 11|
|MacOS||V8, V10, V11||Engine 8.0, Engine 10 OEM only, Engine 11|
Latest Version: V11
ABBYY FineReader Engine 11 was released for Windows, Linux and OS X at the same time in October 2013. The SDK for offers a variety of new built-in features and improvements. Highlights of the new key features include:
- Business Card Recognition
- Extended PDF Capabilities
- New and Improved OCR Technology
- More Details: New Features in V11
Technically the core recognition technology is the same on all operating systems, but there are some differences:
Here a list of the recently updated code samples. The full list can be found here